Started Jun 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Atindra
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,330
Like?
Why so much Negativity? General talk
Jun 28, 2011

Pentax released a new product with new concept and a new lens mount, I think this should be a matter of joy and satisfaction but on our forum mood is different.

Not any major company release a new lens mount just like that and if Pentax/Hoya did so, they must have put lots of thought and R&D behind it. Moreover after Hoya's takeover many of their strategies regarding production and sale has yielded good dividends for the Pentax and despite of recession and terrible Tsunami, Pentax is doing farily well. I dont understand why are so much apprehensions about their strategies regarding Q?

I remember couple of yrs ago we had a lengthy and informative discussion about sensor technologies and its physical limitations and we had excellent inputs from Gordon B Good. What I remember is he said smaller sensor with more pixels can become more efficient if readout circuitry see a revolutionary change. And from the PDF file of some Q & A of Pentax personal released I can make that this tiny sensor of Q is made with latest technology and its circuitry has revolutionary readout mechanism. All in all it could be a first camera to use this sensor assembly or even if sensor is used in some camera before (however there are very few Backlit CMOS sensor cameras in market) the A/D conversion circuit is totally new.

I am not saying that at 800USD price point this system is justified but bringing new product with newer technology is not cheap. Ofcourse many like me would think Price to performance ratio before buying such product but don't we always blame Pentax of following the suit and not doing anything new in digital photography? They did new things since last year, 645D is launched and well supported and doing well. While they fine tuned their K line up with a market leading K-5 and now this Q, a whole new segment. If IQ is good and Q gets success others will follow Pentax.

Why so much negativity just by seeing the size of the sensor? We should wait for image samples. My gut feeling is Q has a unique sensor (thanks to Sony) and Q lens mount will open a whole new chapter in digital photography. I feel elated to be a witness of this digital revolution. I have seen 1.4 MB floppies becoming obsolete and 32/64 GB micro SD cards are raining. We have seen Harddisk while retaining size or getting minature with increasing data storage capacity and speed, then why cant sensor become mini and do mega things?
Dogma of "impossibility" is a hindrance to new innovations and inventions.

I am sure many here are bored with bombarding of Q threads but I hope this is not just about Q but this is about the spirit of daring to do new things.

Atindra

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow