Started Jun 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AntnioGM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685Gear list
Like?
Need help on the TG-810
Jun 27, 2011

A few days ago I bought a TG-810, with the purpose of having a water resistant camera on my nest vacations. The general idea is having a camera on the inflatable canoe and on the beach.

The experience was so bad, that I decided to return the camera today, but with a lot of doubts.

My impression on the camera:

I found that it is an extremely well built camera, but it's image quality is a total surprise. And a negative one.

Both photos and video, lack definition. Photos are very far from sharp. Colours are faithfull. but smudgy. More pastel like.

Video, is another problem, because it's very hard to maintain focus, and not at all sharp.

I must say that I was not expecting DSLR quality. Very far from it. But, taking in account that I have some recent Panasonic/Leica P&S cameras, I expected it to be of near quality. It isn't. (To many megapixel?)

I also have two older P&S from Canon, (8 and 4 megapixel) with a much better image quality, than the TG-810. The problem is that none of these cameras are capable of resisting a salt water shower.

I suspected that it might be a problem with this particular camera, but all the photos I've seen so far on-line are of similar quality.

I wonder if there is somebody out there that may enlighten me.

Am I expecting to much from this camera? I must say, that I've no experience with Olympus small cameras. Only with DSLR's.

I've also tryed the Panasonic FT3, wich has a better image quality, but it's much more expensive and of an inferior build quality, compared with the TG-810 (and with quite different colour faithfullness).

Please help me. Is this lack of quality, the price I have to pay for a very though camera, or it may be a problem of this particular one?

António GM
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91908602@N00/

AntnioGM's gear list:AntnioGM's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Leica D-LUX 4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Leica V-Lux 20 Epson R-D1 +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow