Family Photographers: Shoot Wide Primes!

Started Jun 27, 2011 | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
canerino
Contributing MemberPosts: 794
Like?
Family Photographers: Shoot Wide Primes!
Jun 27, 2011

Just sharing some of my experiences.

The only reason I started photography was to take 'good' photos of my children as they grow. First, I started with just a 50mm prime on the original digital rebel. I was obsessed with 'blurring the background'. So after about six months, I purchased the venerable 85mm f/1.8. After my first year of shooting I had many really solid portraits. But everything was missing. The photos that I was taking could have literally been taken anywhere. There was no context, no story, no details that were unique to my children's life.

Fast forward several years. I shoot almost exclusively with the 24L and 35L when I document my family life. My goal is to create a lifelong set of images that tell the story of my family. The 24L and 35L allow me to include SO much more in the scenes I shoot (ie, cars in the background, our furniture, the technology in the house, what their rooms looked like, etc).

I call this style of shooting "family photojournalism" and have a blog dedicated to shooting in this style: http://www.thefamilyphotojournalist.blogspot.com .

Here is some family photojournalism taken with 24mm and 35mm lenses:

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow