Started Jun 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hasuin
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Pair one zoom and one prime
Jun 27, 2011

I like it more and more to travel light and I have come to carry only one zoom and one prime whatever the circumstances.

I own an APS-C body and 7 Canon lenses. Here is how I pair my lenses, depending on the mood or intended use:

1. 18-200 + 35/2. This is my usual walk-around and travel set. The zoom is the most versatile lens I can dream of and the normal prime (my favorite one) complements it when speed or top IQ are wanted.

I take the 100/2.8 macro instead of the 35/2 if I intend to shoot close-ups or fine portraits.

2. 10-22 + 50/1.4. This is when I want to shoot mostly landscapes or indoors. The prime allows me to do portraits too and to shoot in very low light.

3. 70-300 IS USM + 24/2.8. Again my tele zoom and medium wide angle prime fit well together for landscapes and nature photography.

In the end, it is more a question of mood. Any of these pairs allows me to face most of the situations.

Of course there are other possible good pairs with lenses I do not own like 17-55 + 85/1.8. What do you think?

hasuin's gear list:hasuin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow