G3 kinda squirrely...

Started Jun 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jikester
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
Re: G3 kinda squirrely...
In reply to LTZ470, Jun 26, 2011

Can you post two shots side X side that proves this theory? Same camera settings same time of day...same scene...

I'd be happy to post some. In fact I'm traveling next month throughout the Southwest and plan to take my GH1, GH2, G3, E-PL1, NEX-5, Fuji X100, Canon 5D MkII, Nikon D7000 and D3s and plan to do some test shots as best matched as possible.

Also, when people revert to the phrase "same camera settings, same time of day" that's fine for testing purposes but my belief is that I will do whatever is necessary to get the best shot I can out of the camera and lens combination, period. I can match the Nikon with a $2k 14-24 F2.8 lens or Canon with an equally expensive L lens and let's see who wins for IQ. But is that a fair comparison? A $3.5k to $7k setup versus a $1.2k setup? I hardly think so.

I understand your fondness for sharpness in hair and feathers, it's important for me as well (mostly leaves, blades of grass, rock detail in landscapes). And so far, I've been pleased with everything except the dynamic range I've seen from the G3. Granted, I've only had it a short time but to me, the images look terrific in good light but don't hold up as well at the dawn and dusk hours (when I like to do a lot of my shooting) as my APS sensor cams. It's funny because the test shots I've seen on DPR and others give it good marks, but when working with RAW, I can simply pull more data out of the bigger sensor cameras.

And of note, I'm not slamming the G3, so do not interpret it as such. Along with the Fuji, it's become my travel camera of choice having displaced the E-PL1.

I responded because I cringe when seeing the "blows away (insert camera x here)" type comments because they rarely hold up to be true.

Jikester's gear list:Jikester's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P5100 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony RX100 +53 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow