Big Mistake by Fuji: Firmware Update Ignored Focus Ring Problem. I Gonna Ditch X100

Started Jun 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photo_oasis
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Big Mistake by Fuji: Firmware Update Ignored Focus Ring Problem. I Gonna Ditch X100
Jun 26, 2011

Well, I really tried hard to love this camera but after a month ordeal on using the focus system and no fix in firmware update, I am ready to ditch it. Hopefully I can recover the money.

The reason I say this is Fuji's big mistake is that the way X100 positioned is that it's designed and priced by targeting at prosumer to pro users to have a light weight alternative. I don't know what Fuji is thinking, don't they know manual focusing is a big deal for this type of users? I am not a pro but I mainly use manual focus for this camera simply because the auto focus on this camera is not reliable. The focus ring is the biggest pain on the neck to use. Even you are patient enough to keep rotating the ring turn after turn but you look like an idiot besides most of the time you don't even have the time to do that (I know zone focusing, that's not the point). I know I can use AFL button to approximately focus to the area but the point is AFL button sometimes doesn't even go there. I just don't get it. I did A/B comparison using my D3 with 35mm f1.4 lens, D3 has no problem to focus in the scenarios where X100 failed. The only conclusion I can get is X100 has design flaws in focusing. I have to admit, once X100 focus works, this little guy does wonders. I wished the firmware update fix this but... I believe Fuji will fix the problem in next X200 but I'm pretty sure Nikon, Canon, SONY, Sumsung, etc will have similar camera (maybe even full-frame) before then because they learnt lesson not making X100 like camera which selling like hot cake.

photo_oasis's gear list:photo_oasis's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow