Started Jun 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,218
Like?
Re: Nikon 18-200 VR does macro too. CC welcome
In reply to Answell, Jun 25, 2011

Answell wrote:

Very well done.
How close were you to these subjects when you took the pictures?

I ask because, if i had focused at the long end of this lens, my pictures would have been very small, and I would have had to crop at 100% to get this size. As it is, I got much closer with the lens at 18mm, locked focus, and zoomed out to 200mm. This may or may not have caused some lack of sharpness. However, I have a dedicated Tamron 90mm macro lens for this kind of work. I did not have it with me at the time, so I used what I had.

Sorry for late response, been away.

Very close, I think ca 4 cm from the rear lens element. Notice the lens was reversed, not the kind of thing many people would do with this lens (of course it is not the best lens to do such things with). And they're made with additional extension tubes on the reversal ring, so the magnifications are somewhere 3:1 to 7:1 I guess. Much more than the Tamron 90 does by default.

One might want to get less extreme (more useful) macro magnifications in the reversed setup, and would expect to get there around 50mm zoom position. By zooming the reversed 18-200VR from 18mm towards 50mm the magnification does decrease, but not as much as one might expect with a 50mm prime; the working distance increases (which is mostly considered a good thing); but the image quality fades away.

I tried other tricks to make it magnify more (for packing light). The most successful was the Canon 500D diopter (+2); however, it does not magnify so much, because this lens "breathes" at close-focus and is near 130mm at nominal 200mm. The Raynox DCR-250 (+8) (useful with P&S cameras) magnifies enough but vignettes heavily, so does a stacked reversed 50/1.8D. The Canon 250D (+4) or Marumi +5 achromats have larger diameters and might work better regarding vignetting; but they're not that light.

A 12mm extension tube also kinda works, but not as good as the 500D. Thicker ones don't.
My current workaround is the Tamron 60/2 macro

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow