Canon 5DMKII, only 3 lens travel kit (again)

Started Jun 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photonhunter
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Canon 5DMKII, only 3 lens travel kit (again)
Jun 25, 2011

Every now and then one of this "which lens to take on my trip" threads arises. I have started a few myself in the past, so I will try to keep it short:

Photography is NOT the main reason for my trips. I travel (extensively) for business. I just came from a two month trip around Africa and some days in Paris, Brussels and Tbilisi (Georgia) with just a Canon 5DMKII, a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and a Canon 50L. Imagine how frustrating that was when I was invited to do a little safari in South Africa...

I will be traveling to many different countries in the months to come, including Russia, China and the USA (I live in Europe). Surely I will visit some of the neighbor countries in the process. I want to carry a three lens setup (maximum). I am NOT purchasing any new lenses, the kit has to come from my existing gear. I currently own:

• Canon 5DMKII

• Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (lovely little lens)

• Tamron 70-300 USD VC (I just purchased this one this week). This one is sooo coming with me....

• Sigma 28 f/1.8. Bright fun lens with amazing macro capabilities.

• Canon 50 l f/1.2. This is my favorite lens, by far, I find myself using it all the time..(with it´s limitations).

• Canon Ef 100 f/2.

My initial idea was to bring along Sigma 28 f/1.8/Canon 50L f/1.2/Tamron 70-300 USD VC. I am now considering taking the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 instead of the Sigma for versatility (it is also slightly lighter). The Sigma is brighter for dark interiors (architecture) and can shoot crazy close to things, but it´s not a zoom and it´s not a small lens either. Weight and size are a SERIOUS issue for me. I would love to take the Canon 100 f/2, a lovely sharp lens that takes amazing portraits, but I doubt I can squeeze it or that I would use it as much as to justify bringing it... Please, don´t comment on wide angles. I am NOT purchasing one and hardly ever feel the need for them... Would appreciate if you stick to the lenses mentioned.

What would be your advise for general photography (architecture, people/candids and the often pictured while travelling)? I don´t have a problem with primes, I am comfortable with the constrains, but I am concerned about the constant lens switching...

Any opinions will be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow