Done with m43 unless...

Started Jun 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jim Boutilier
Senior MemberPosts: 1,081Gear list
Like?
Re: I invite you to teach me
In reply to Ednaz, Jun 24, 2011

I'm not trying to do a mine's better than yours thing or say that m4/3 is as good as a DSLR for action shooting. But the many great m4/3 action shots that can be found here, on Flickr, etc make it indisputable that you can get great action shots with m4/3 gear. Air shows included. Car racing included. Bird shots included.

The folks in this thread that seemed to be having trouble appeared to be describing no technique or bad technique so I was suggesting a technique that could help get better results in many action situations without changing gear.

Just for the record I consider manual focus on most DSLRs pretty much rubbish for action shooting because of no split image micro prism. EVFs are even worse. But ambush technique doesn't require manual focusing. It requires pre-focusing. You make all your decisions and set everything up front. Switching to manual everything simply prevents your camera from changing things or delaying a shot because it's changing things. Then all you have to contend with is a predictable delay that you can compensate for. The inherent delay in an EVF adds to this but it's still predictable and you can compensate.

Just my two cents.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Jim

Jim Boutilier's gear list:Jim Boutilier's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple Aperture DxO Optics Pro Standard
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow