Started Jun 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
drwho9437
Senior MemberPosts: 1,976
Like?
Ultra wides: crop vs FF
Jun 24, 2011

For landscape use ultra wides are nice, these photos tend to be deep DOF shots, and in good light, largely negating the obvious advantages in ISO and DOF for a FF camera.

I have looked at the photozone and other results for the 17-40 compared to crop cameras and they are certainly mixed.

The center or corner variation is much worse but the overall resolution in the FF case is higher.

I would be interested in actual user views on the pros and cons of the available ultra wides for crop and FF.

I am posting this in the 5D forum as I figure the least available kit will be the FF body, even though this is essentially a lens question.

I have shot the Tokina 12-24, Sigma 10-20 on Canon crop and Olympus 9-18 on m4/3, but no FF use.

I am basically thinking I should run a split system m4/3 for portability and lightness, and FF for low DOF in portrait like cases and for the highest image quality possible.

However the vast majority of my work remains landscapes so ultra wide performance is paramount.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbryce/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow