Another D300 vs D7000 post !

Started Jun 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,611Gear list
Like?
Re: I did not mean to turn this into an argument about darkness...
In reply to olyflyer, Jun 24, 2011

olyflyer wrote:

…but come on... you may call that dark but to me that looks normal, weak light. Often times I don't have more light in the middle of the day outdoors on the open. If you were not in the shade using CWA metering you would have gotten faster shutter speed. There is simply too much contrast in the image, but it is not taken in the dark.

Assuming the EXIF is OK, the image was taken a minute before official sunset which was 16:43 on the 22 June. Perhaps you call that dark, I don't. Dark for me is when the sky is dark and the unlit billboards and road signs are no longer readable from that distance.

Anyway, that was not my real point. My point was that in fact, even your image could have been improved with even better high ISO, and a flash could have also improved the lighting in the shade, where you were parked. If it was dark a flash would have not helped to light up that blue road sign or that red billboard in the far distance though. This image is a typical image where high ISO AND flash is necessary if you want to take a technically better image. TTL-BL is the answer to avoid noise and the high ISO slow shutter speed would have given you the same detail in the background.

From iso performance to lecture on flash photography. Nice!

The image posted has dark area that can be seen with very little noise. It is remarkable since the image was exposed for for mid tone and the dark/shadow is hence under exposed still maintaining low iso noise.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow