Opinions needed - Upgrade to SD15 or stay SD14? - nt -

Started Jun 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,415Gear list
Like?
Re: Yep - Get the SD15 ------------->
In reply to fnoskoimages, Jun 22, 2011

Well in my case isn't: my SD14 has a very good and fast AF compared to my SD15 (i just received it an hour ago) so i think i have to adjust it, look slike it has the same backfocus issue as my SD14 had...

all the SD14s I've used or owned bar the one I have now were all over the place, front and rear focussing like a canon 350D on a bad day , this last SD14 is fine (and wow was I shocked when I saw it was) , this SD15 given my lens AF motor limitation (no HSM ones in my possession) is performing exactly the same, the SD15 is supposed to be faster so I guess it'll need HSM lenses so show a difference . I've not compared them in low light, the SD15 may win with all lenses there.

another is the High ISO performance above the Native limit of the sensor (ISO400), the SD14, DP1 and DP1S are a mess at 800 or higher in RAW or JPG , the SD15 JPGs extracted from the X3Fs aren't very convincing either (still look worse than a G11 or S90 at the same size) but in SPP5, ISO1600 is looking real good and 3200 almost usable ! . I did briefly try the SD14 in SPP5 and it was still awful above ISO400 , either they're deliberately crippling the software for older cams or AFE really works when pushing the sensor and the JPG engine doesn't get the benefit .

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OopsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow