The World Camera!!!???

Started Jun 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
David V
Contributing MemberPosts: 979Gear list
Like?
Re: The World Camera!!!???
In reply to VladimirV, Jun 22, 2011

For me, its the D5100 with the 16-85VR as the standard mount lens. Along with that in the kit is a 35 f/1.8 for low light, which is also the perfect focal range for general photography if you want to go smaller and lighter in weight, and just use your feet to zoom in and out a few steps either way. For longer reach, the 70-300VR is an outstanding lens from 70-220mm, and begins to soften a bit after that, but by no mean is un-usable, just a bit softer. This whole kit in a sleek Kata R-103 backpack weighs in at less than 8 pounds (That included filters, charger, spare battery, and a tiny SB400 flash), which is an amazing amount of image capture options in a light weigh package that will provide supreme protection for your system from impact or heat! Kata bags are world class, and feel very comfortable on your back all day!

In my opinion, there is no better balance of size/weight and image quality than this kit, especially if you're not willing to compromise on image quality. If I were traveling the world to capture images, image quality would be the priority with size/weight being the next order of priority. This is coming from experience, as I do actually lug a d700, pro 2.8 glass and tripod on some trips where weight is not the priority, but image quality is of the utmost importance.

I have owned M4/3 (E-PL1), Sony NEX 5, and the Leica D-Lux4, and while they all capture great images in each of their respective "sweet spots", they are still a compromise in the image and more importantly, dynamic range department. The E-PL1 took great daytime images, but was noisy in shadows and night shots, and its auto focus in low light was dismal.

The Sony had the best image quality and dynamic range of the small form factor cameras, but I found that the kit lens was just short of mediocre, and there were really no other suitable options without an adapter and manual focus. Shame really. If Sony's kit lens was up to the standards of the M4/3 kit lenses, this would be a killer camera system. It also had the best LCD screen and video capture mode. Perhaps they will enhance their mid-zoom offering, and if they do, I would take another serious look.

P&S cameras are the most portable, and clearly most convenient, but will also be the biggest compromise in image quality and dynamic range.

In the end, you need to pick your priorities (Image, size, weight) and invest in the system that best serves your needs and willingness to compromise.

I hope this helps.

DV

David V's gear list:David V's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow