The World Camera!!!???

Started Jun 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
NuFonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 2,179
Like?
Re: The World Camera!!!???
In reply to PeterLeyssens, Jun 22, 2011

There are some extremelly good tips in your post. As someone who has backpacked on all continets agree with your "less is more approach". That is why i got into M4/3 as my travel system.

Last year i backpacked in india using only the GF1, an Olympus 14-42 and the 20mm. It was an extremelly lightweight, yet very capable setup.

At the moment i'm living and working in Nepal so i added the 45-200mm since i won't backpack as much and can leave lenses at home.

When i could only take two lenses i'd be hard pressed but i think i would the take the 14-42 and the 45-200. The 20mm is a great lens but i use it way less than the others.

But still taking all this into account for my next trip i'm thinking about changing to either the Nikon D7000 or D5100. Then i might take even only one lens (Tamron 17-50mm 2.8) for backpacking and an additional 50mm 1.4 and 50-150mm 2.8 for more convenient travels.

With only the Tamron my setup would be about the same in terms of size as my current one and i would like to try traveling with just that. I lived without tele before

PeterLeyssens wrote:

Hi,

I haven't travelled the world, but I have been out for 6 weeks. There's one important message that anybody experienced in long term travel will tell you. It would seem logical to assume you need to take more equipment, because you'll encounter more situations. But the opposite is true: if you travel longer and cover more distance, you need to take as little as possible . You won't like lugging a Nikon D3 + a bunch of zoom lenses around if you pack up and lift all your belongings every other day.

The same holds even for µ43 equipment. It may be tempting to take a 7-14, a few primes, then the 40-150 and the 70-300 for all those safaris, and then a converter for a few legacy lenses. Bad idea. I like it that you have decided to cut down to two lenses, but three could be a better idea.

Proposal:

• a 9-18mm for cities and landscapes

• a 20/f1.7 for a really small package that you can carry around when you're not in the photographer mode (i.e. going for a drink)

• a 40-150. It's really light at 190gr and at least you'll have some reach in case you need it.

For my Japan trip of 6 weeks, I took a film camera (1 body) with a 28/f2.8, 50/f1.4 and a 90/f2. I did buy a 200/f4 during the trip, too, for some reach, but I hardly used it.

Enjoy the trip !

Peter.

-- hide signature --

gallery at http://picasaweb.google.com/peterleyssens
NAP (Nearly a PAD (Photo a Day)) at http://nap.techwriter.be

-- hide signature --

What´s that noise?

From one of the Canon Forums:

'I just came back from my first holiday with the 5D II (I think my wife was there as well). '

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow