Tamron 90mm slow to focus on D7000

Started Jun 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Tamron 90mm slow to focus on D7000
In reply to monkeyrpn, Jun 22, 2011

monkeyrpn wrote:

Thanks meumerke for your example~ Great inspiration! I guess I should practice more with it... with the focus limiter, i'm not exactly sure how to use it properly and effectively... Do I turn the limiter on, then manually estimate the focus, and switch back to autofocus to accurately achieve focus?

The limiter is used with AF. It simply shortens the range of travel ... i.e. you can have it stay at distance and not rack all the way back to macro. Much faster when it decides to hunt.

or should I sell it and buy a Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AF-D instead? That has a screw drive AF. Would that focus faster?

The Nikon 85mm AFD is a very fine lens (I have one) and offers very high sharpness at f/2 or so ... but the Tammy is quite spectacular and it might be worth putting in a bit more time with it.

One thing I have found is that AF-S with one focal point works better than the fancy modes when there is little contrast. Also, ensure that you use a focus point directly on something contrasty like an eye. Don't try to focus on a patch of skin or hair, as there ir little contrast in that. Despite the differences between contrast AF and phase detect AF, both work much faster when contrast is high.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow