Upgrading 500D to 7D - significant differences in high ISO?

Started Jun 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hiki08
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
Upgrading 500D to 7D - significant differences in high ISO?
Jun 22, 2011

Hi all,

Been a whlie since I had troubling questions to ask but recently I've been wanting to upgrade my 500D. I've had my eyes on 7D since day one for the main reasons of: 19 cross type AF points, 8fps and (partial?) weather sealing. I am also hoping to find a camera with better low light (high ISO) performance with better IQ overall.

While the 7D most definitely satisfies my desire for AF, fps and weather sealing improvements, I'm a bit concerned about its high ISO performance.. it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement even over a 500D when viewed on dpreview's comparison where I compared 500D with 60D and 7D at all available levels of ISO:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/page19.asp

I've read comments here on dpreview that 550D onwards, 60D and 7D all have very similar IQ and low light performance because they all use the same 18MP sensor. The 500D has the older 15MP sensor. Others also say the 7D's dual processor helps with IQ and noise. While I take all these as moot points, I simply want to raise these here in case anyone wanted to raise these again.

So... looking at the dpreview comparison link, I'm not sure if I'm seeing much difference in noise. In terms of IQ, the colours seems to be more contrasty and deeper (if that makes any sense) on 60D and 7D while 500D's colour feels slightly more washed out.

So, I'm thinking whether the 7D really delivers the better IQ and high ISO capabilities that I'm looking for in my upgrade. The 60D doesn't deliver the fps and AF that I'm looking for so that's out of the book. Should I be waiting (till maybe some time in 2012) for a 7D II with (hopefully) better dim light performance or is there a place more convincing to show that the 7D is a clear leader in the high ISO department.

As a note: I was comparing RAWS and looking at the medals on the Martini bottle and the lady's face on the top right. While looking at the colourful fluffy balls at the bottom centre suggests 60D is more confident with noise suppression than 500D or 7D in that particular instance.

Thanks for your comments and responses!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow