Started Jun 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ComputerDork
Regular MemberPosts: 225
Like?
all these crazy autofocus modes....
Jun 22, 2011

I just got a D7000 and it has all these crazy autofocus options that I'm not used to.

I'm used to the good ol days when you just pointed a camera at a subject, held the button down halfway, and recomposed the picture. So, when I use a camera with all this new artificially intelligent facial recognition crap I always disable it and just use fixed center point focus mode (and usually center weighted avg for exposure).

So, on the D7000 I've just locked the focus point in the center and turned off all the auto subject detection/tracking stuff to get what I'm used to. (I'm pretty sure I can recognize my subject, and point at it, by myself without any artificial "intelligence" help.)

So, I sort of get how some of the automatic focus point detection and predictive focus stuff might be useful for moving subjects and such if you have a narrow enough depth of field, but what I really don't get is why someone would want to manually move the focus point around the frame and lock it there.

Especially with the separate exposure lock button, why is it so hard to just point, autofocus, recompose and shoot rather than compose, tinker with moving the autofocus point around manually, then autofocus and shoot? I don't get it....

And what's with all these scene mode thingies? That seems like a compact digital camera feature for people who just know point-and-shoot and nothing else. My last ("DSLR-like") camera had these too and I never used them. I hate stuff like this that tries to be smart and then doesn't even tell me what it's doing.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow