Started Jun 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Quasar1
Contributing MemberPosts: 526
Like?
Newbie's first attempts
Jun 22, 2011

So I got my D90 a few months ago and have been spending more time reading than shooting. I work a lot of hours so I have time at night to read my manual, and other books on technique, etc but I don't always have a lot of daylight (or energy when there is daylight ) to go shoot.

I drove by this abandoned tree farm the other day and it struck me as a cool place to finally get off my butt and start practicing, so I did.

A few observations:

I only have a kit lens 18-105, and it was fine, but I understand now how a faster lens could have given me more creative control over depth of field in some of my pics.

I shot almost entirely in Aperture Priority mode and in the beginning I paid close attention to my ISO and Shutter readings because I hand held every shot.

As I began shooting more, I found myself paying more attention to composition and aperture settings and... my concentration lapsed on the corresponding ISO and Shutter settings... So there are some shots with unnecessarily high ISO's and some with shutter speeds too slow to safely hand hold. Anyway, live and learn.

I only have photoshop elements and I really don't know how to do too much with it but I did play with cropping, contrast, brightness, and a few of the filters.

Anyway... I had fun and learned a few things. Any comments, critiques, criticisms, etc welcome :). Thanks for looking.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow