ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eshwar Andhavarapu
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
50mm f/1.8G or 35mm f/1.8 DX prime?
Jun 21, 2011

Hi,

Seems a similar question has been asked before but I am still confused. So from what I understand so far:

1. given that the 35mm is wider, you'll be walking back less often to get your shot...

2. The 50mm is a full frame one and seems to be built better as well as having the distance scale...

Now, I figured I need a prime since I want to take better low-light pictures as well as learn and experience the shallow depth of field, sharper pics and fixed focal length. I am confused as to which lengths though. Having a D5100 i can't unfortunately go for the older cheap 50mm F/1.8D so I think i am stuck with those 2 options above.

I don't have a proper feel for focal lengths yet so I would like some suggestions. I think i'd start off with nature like leaves, flowers, insects etc... Not sure i;d be doing dedicated portraits yet. Oh yes, do include street photography as well. Maybe in future i'd be able to afford a f/1.4 prime so please feel free to suggest any 'upgrade' paths as well...

Also some feedback on the two lenses' build quality and performance would be great. I have already looked at the reviews on bythom.com, kenrockwell.com and photozone.de

Any other info, I would really appreciate

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow