Started Jun 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul in New Orleans
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
Problem using a new 1TB WD My Passport USB 2.0/3.0 drive
Jun 21, 2011

I have a Windows 2000 Pro computer that is serving me well except that newer versions of software won't work on it and some web sites do not support its IE6. Because of these problems I have been thinking of getting a new Windows 7 computer.

Before getting a new computer I want to back up all data and image files onto an external hard drive. To this end I bought a Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB 3.0/2.0 external hard drive. The problem is that my Win 2000 computer does not recognize this drive when I plug it into the USB 2.0 socket. I now notice that the box it came in says it is designed for Win XP, Vista and 7. I thought this would just affect the backup software included with it, but that the drive would be recognized by Win 2000 when I plug it in just as the computer recognizes USB thumb drives. The external drive is recognized by my XP laptop, but most of my data and photos are on the Win 2000 Pro desktop.

Does anyone know how to make this drive work with Windows 2000 Pro or will I have to send it back?
--
Paul in New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.

Paul in New Orleans's gear list:Paul in New Orleans's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow