Tripod - what to look for.......

Started Jun 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,427Gear list
Like?
Re: Tripod - what to look for.......
In reply to jertzeedon, Jun 19, 2011

What to look for?........stability with the ability to absorb vibrations, besides overall portability and height without relying on a center column.....which is half the equation since you need to top it off with a good ball head to complete it's purpose.

I've been through several decent mid-range aluminum and carbon fiber tripods mostly 3 sections with the Manfrotto line and finally settled with a quality Gitzo CF tripod and Markins head using Arca-Swiss style clamps and plates. Those plates will firmly seat the camera body or lens without any chance of rotation when clamped, and are available in an L-plate configuration for quick body orientation........here's a sample of an RRS L-plate

It cost twice what I have previously invested, but had I opted for it in the first place I would have saved quite a bit and only bought once. Do some research on the style and specs to fit your current needs and future body/lens purchases so it can handle the load.
--
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow