Started Jun 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ChrisKramer1
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Magenta hue to skies using GF1
Jun 18, 2011

I mentioned recently in one thread, that I was experiencing some magenta hues to overcast/cloudy skies on the GF1 and G1. I also put up an example of it (see below). Some accused me of being at fault ("user error") and that the picture was improperly exposed. I do not accept that: incorrect exposure should not give you pink clouds! Rather, I feel it is an issue with the white balance. Note that this is NOT an issue with the Olympus cameras or the Canon or Nikon cameras I also use.

I stated that this was in fact referred to by DPReview itself in its preview or review of the GF1. Here is the link:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/page32.asp

And here is the excerpt:

"Our biggest criticism of the GF1's output is that it never quite gets blue skies right; they often look a little pinkish. It's only fractionally different to the E-P1 (if you measure it), but it looks terrible by comparison. Whether it's white balance or color mapping I'm not sure, but next to the E-P1's version it looks unimpressive. Since I post process virtually every shot I take, the slightly flat appearance of the GF1 shot isn't a problem (it's far easier to increase brightness and contrast than to reduce it), but fixing colors is something I'd rather not be doing on shots taken in broad daylight. Note that it's blues and greens that the GF1 tends to fall down on; reds (and other warm tones) are very punchy (in fact, as with most Pansonics, the default color settings often produce over-saturated reds and magentas)."

Here is my example of the phenomenon. No whether it is a bad photo or badly exposed is irrelevant - I can shoot a bad photo and badly expose on other cameras, and I do not get pink skies! EXIF info is provided. Lens used was the 9-18 mm Olympus (since sold) but I also experience the same phenomenon on the standard G1 lens (14 - 45mm).

Just to cover my back - here is a link to some shots by Steve Huff, which show the problem as well. I think these are good photos but the magenta hue is still there.

http://www.stevehuffphotos.com/Steve_Huff_Photos/THE_PANASONIC_GF1_REVIEW_8.html

This REALLY bothered me about the GF1 and was actually one of the reasons why I sold it. Still, the GF2 attracts me because of its size and so I was wondering from users here if Panasonic have corrected this problem or whether any of you are experiencing this with the post GF1 cameras.

I very much like to know the technical reason for this phenomenon and I would appreciate it if you would keep it objective and polite.

Thanks in advance!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow