Started Jun 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maxotics
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?
DP1, DP2, Canon G12 Comparisons
Jun 17, 2011

I got my new (used) DP2s, so ran some comparisons between that, my DP1 and Canon G12. I converted to JPGs using FastStone (no post). They're here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxotics/sets/72157626984119940/

Here's one set.

I'll probably annoy some people here. But at first it was difficult for me to see much of a difference. The more I looked, the more I saw a better "pop" in the DP1, DP2. Although the f-stops were the same, mostly 5.6, but some 2.8 (5 for dp1), the DPs had shallower DOF, probably because of their larger sensor.

I have to wonder if I would see a difference if the G12 has a DP-size sensor.

The DP colors seemed more realistic to me, but unless you were there, I'm not sure you would notice a "better" difference.

I've always marveled as the size of the DP1. The DP2 has a longer lens barrel. It barely fits in the little case I use for the DP1. Although the body is still smaller than the G12, the G12's lens fully retracts. So though the G12 is larger, in total effect, both cameras take up almost the same space.

I really like getting a shallow depth of field, so I will still prefer the DP cameras. I was surprised, with these test shots, that beyond DOF and color, the difference between the Sigma and Canon wasn't more pronounced.

If anyone wants the RAW files of these say so and I'll post them later.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow