Started Jun 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ghuba
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
Deliberately No Professional Wedding Photography
Jun 17, 2011

My sister-in-law is getting married on Sunday. While she could easily afford several professional wedding photographers simultaneously taking pictures, she and the groom have decided that instead of traditional professional photography they wish their memories to come from the perspectives of their guests. The small group of about 25 adult guests (+lots of kids) will include a few of us who are somewhat advanced in amateur digital photography and have high-quality cameras and lenses and a lot of point-and-shooters who will shoot flash in everyone's eyes. The wedding should take place outside or in a well-lit home.

Please don't tell me she should have a pro photographer in addition to family; she and the groom are highly intelligent professionals who thought about this a lot and this is what they selected; I would not have made the same choice. They've also seen the family pictures their guests have taken throughout their lifetimes (digital cameras arrived when they were pre-teens). That all being said, I suspect the use of family photographers only at weddings is a coming trend among young, digital-era brides.

Please help me decide several things. a) What lenses would work well at a wedding with my D700 and for what purposes? I must use light-weight fixed lenses (medical) and have Nikon 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2.0, 50g f/1.4, 60 f/2.8 micro, and 85 f/1.8 lenses. Other guest will have similar high-end Nikon and Canon cameras and zoom and fixed lenses. b) What are some suggested candid and posed pictures that would allow the couple to see the wedding from the perspective of their guests?

Thank you for the help.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow