Olympus “reinvents” the AF system! It is incredibly fast!

Started Jun 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
flipmac
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: Gloom and doom
In reply to Wellington100, Jun 17, 2011

I suspect existing lenses would see AF improvements as well, albeit not drastic. It really isn't any surprise that the 'big' speed boost is dependent on having the new lenses on the new bodies. Even now, some lenses focus faster than others on the same body.

That said, I'm satisfied with the focus speed (and quietness) of the 14-42mm mk-II and 40-150mm, the later being faster than a Canon 55-250. But of course, more speed is always welcomed.

Wellington100 wrote:

If you use the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 on an Oly EP1, is there firmware in the Oly to correct it, or do the distortions get transmitted into the final image?

I was going to buy my son one for his birthday, but I could buy him the Oly 17.5 instead.

"Distortion is being corrected in software, as is lateral chromatic aberration when used on Panasonic camera bodies (although not on the Olympus E-P1)" ( http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/panasonic_20_1p7_o20/page3.asp ). So distortion is corrected, but not CA; not sure if that is still the case with current firmware. FYI, I love using the 20/1.7 on my E-PL2; the price difference over the 17/2.8 is worth it to me.

flipmac's gear list:flipmac's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow