a spider as big as a mouse... in Maine? that fishes?

Started Jun 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
buckshot
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,948Gear list
Like?
a spider as big as a mouse... in Maine? that fishes?
Jun 17, 2011

... I have some time to kill so I take a drive to a stream (where I took the osprey shots) to go macro hunting for the Fujimugs challenge. As I start to cross a 4' concrete wall (part of the fish trap) a giant spider ran across in front of me (I actually though it was a mouse at first glance) then jumped off the wall right into the water!! when I looked close I saw it on a rock underwater !!! Since it was 4' down the wall and about 4" underwater I did not think I could get a shot but I always try. I checked for more giant spiders then got down on my fat belly and hung the camera off the wall (I know it’s not a Fujifilm cam but I am just sharing with the folks here) and got the first shot below. You can see how the spider trapped air on its body to use while underwater. The next shot it has come 1/2 way out of the water up the wall straight below me. I know these shots are not great but this thing was awesome! So I looked for an ID on this thing and it turns out it is a fishing spider they dive and use the air trapped on their body to catch fish and pollywogs but mostly eat bugs. I knew such spiders existed I just did not know we have them here!!

This is the spider actually underwater

oh how I wish I had nailed the eyes Dang it!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow