I see no point. GF3

Started Jun 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
Ben Ramsey
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Re: I see no point. GF3
In reply to Bill Logsdon, Jun 16, 2011

Bill Logsdon wrote:

I have a Pentax K20d DSLR with 2 lenses (18-55 and 55-300). Its big, heavy, rugged, fast shoorting, and has a pretty good sensor. it takes good pictures most of the time. Its also huge and heavy and it takes up a good portion of a suitcase if I take it for travel.

I recently got a Panasonic LX-5 so I could have a small, pocketable camera when I dont want to lug around a big, massive DSLR. I dot mostly outdoor, wildlife and landscape picture rather then studio pictures so that impacts my choices.

In practice, I find myself consistently reaching for the small LX-5 when I travel or go hiking. I realize the DSLR takes better pictures, but the convenience of being able to put the LX-5 in my pocket and forget about it is just too tempting. I have not used the old DSLR much since I got the Panasonic. I have missed the opportunity for some awesome pictures due to limitations of the the smaller camera, but I have also been able to take some nice shots because I had a camera with me.

I understand if you did nothing but studio photography, you would have no interest in a small camera. But if you like to travel light or have to hike more then a quarter mile to get your shots, you would really appreciate the value of smaller cameras.

I never would have thought of a K20d with those lenses as being huge, massive and heavy. I don't shoot in a studio, but like you, also shoot mainly wildlife and landscapes. I regularly, pretty much daily, go on ten plus mile hikes with my 1Diii and 300 2.8L as my walkaround. Granted, by the time I get back, I'm starting to feel it, but not to the degree that I would feel it necessary for me to use equipment that won't do the job I need it to. I also travel a fair amount and would gladly leave behind other things, but my gear is always traveling with me.

I don't know what kind of shape you're in to cause you to opt for an LX-5 on any "hike" over 1/4 of a mile, but that you would indicate that your Pentax is too heavy for that activity is worrisome.

It may be that you prefer a smaller camera, and that is fine, but it is by no means a requirement to forgo an SLR for outdoor photography, but rather the exception.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow