Started Jun 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,086Gear list
Like?
Nikon 24mm f/1.4G for landscapes?
Jun 16, 2011

I own the 24mm f/3.5 PC-E and am considering a swap for the 1.4G. I shoot mainly landscapes. Something to note here; I also own the magnificent 45mm f/2.8 PC-E so I wouldn't be giving up my tilt shift options - the 45mm PC-E operates and provides results which I think are much improved over its 24mm brother...

Question is would you really recommend the 1.4G over the 24mm PC-E for landscape work? I'm not 100% convinced by the 24mm PC-E - it suffers from noticeable CA at times and I'm thinking that image quality generally must be improved in the 1.4G. To be clear I have no ambition to start shooting landscapes at f/1.4 (actually that's not entirely true because I'm thinking about trips to Norway/Iceland to shoot the Northern Lights at some stage) and I've also considered the Zeiss 21mm ZF.2 lately as a further alternative.

Other than the obvious gains (auto-focus and big aperture) will I notice improved image quality with the 1.4G?

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow