What you need to know about SanDisk SDHC Extreme cards!

Started Jun 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Orin B.
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?
What you need to know about SanDisk SDHC Extreme cards!
Jun 16, 2011

Here is an excerpt from a chat with SanDisk support on their website:

Me: I am shopping for a SDHC Extreme memory card on B&H's website and need some card comparison info. Is there any difference between these two class 10 cards? SDSDX3-016G-A31 and the SDSDRX3-016G-A21

SanDisk: The SDSDX3-016G-A31 is the Extreme 30MB/s Class 10 card. The SDSDRX3-016G-A21 is the Extreme HD VIdeo card. Initially, this card is 20MB/s and Class 6, but with the UHS technology used on the card, it is now 30MB/s and Class 10.

SanDisk: UHS means Ultra High Speed. Note, in non-UHS host, the card will perform to the maximum limit of the non-UHS host. The SanDisk UHS-I card will have performance of up to 30MB/s in UHS based host devices and up to 20MB/s in non-UHS based host devices. Additionally, UHS-I cards will have Speed Class U1 for UHS host devices and Class 10 for older devices with SDHC interconnect.

Me: Just to be clear, the SDSDX3-016G-A31 card will be 30mb/s in any device that can use that speed regardless of UHS ability? And then in UHS devices it won't see any speed improvement.

SanDisk: The SDSDX3-016G-A31 will have 30MB/s speed rating regardless if the host device supports UHS or not. The SDSDRX3-016G-A21 will have the 30MB/s speed rating on a device that supports UHS and 20MB/s on a non-UHS device.

Me: Okay, sounds like the SDSDX3-016G-A31 is a better card?

SanDisk: Yes. But if your camera supports UHS then both cards will have the same performance.

That about sums it up!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow