HELP! Canon EF 85 mm f/1.2 L II eats my batteries...

Started Jun 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
sempervivum
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Re: HELP! Canon EF 85 mm f/1.2 L II eats my batteries...
In reply to Water Focus, Jun 15, 2011

Hi Andrew,

You might be right... Doing outdoor portraits for families, I "chase" kids around the garden wide open or on f/1,4... focusing and refocusing and focusing....

But still.... I do the same with the EF 70-200 f/4 IS (with IS as a power consumer on) and the battery life is so much longer.

Does anybody have long term experiences with the 85 mm f/1.2 to clear this?

Water Focus wrote:
Hi,

I do not own the f1.2, but like you did, have the f1.8. The f85 f1.2 uses an electronically driven 'focus-by-wire' system when autofocusing AND manually focussing. The power needed to shift the relatively large and heavy amount of glass in that lens may have something to do with greater battery power useage.

However, something does sound not quite right. I would certainly expecct to get less shots with the f1.2 than the other lens you mention, but not as little as 1/3 and nearly 1/4. So something else is causing the battery drain. The f1.2 is well known to be a difficult lens to focus wide-open due to its extremely thin depth of field. I have used a friends f1.2 and found I took much longer to get the focus I wanted wide-open because a minute amount of backwards/forwards movement on behalf of either my subject or me, would throw the focus plane out. This meant that I was taking considerably longer to achieve the focus I wanted. Could this be the reason?

Cheers

Andrew

sempervivum wrote:

Please help me...

I'm a part time outdoor portrait / family / wedding photographer, I recently changed my good old EF 85 mm f/1.8 to the big brother EF 85 mm f/1.2 L II.

The new lens works perfectly: sharp, focuses correctly, drops the backgrount to a creamy blur, etc... BUT IT EATS MY BATTERIES LIKE NO OTHER LENS OF MINE DID!!!

I also use on my two EOS 450D-s the EF 17-40 f/4 and the EF 70-200 f/4 IS, with these lenses I can easily go up to 400-500 shots with one battery.

But all of my batteries (I have 5 batteries, Canon branded, also third party, including brand new ones) give up with the new 85 mm lens at appx. 150 shots....

I do not do MF, the focus is basically always on Single Shot AF.

Is this a malfunction or a normal attribute of the lens?
--
Yours Truly,

sempervivum

-- hide signature --

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Yours Truly,

sempervivum

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow