D5100 plus what lens? (my first DSLR-general use)

Started Jun 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marc Trotter
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
D5100 plus what lens? (my first DSLR-general use)
Jun 15, 2011

OK, it was between the D5100 and the T3i, and I have all but decided on the Nikon. This will be my first DSLR, and I will not be in a position to purchase a lot of lenses. I know the kit lens is an OK lens, but I will definitely want more reach than that.

As far as what type photography I will be doing, I like a lot of different things. I like to take shots of people, landscapes, and wildlife when I get the chance. Pretty much whatever catches my fancy.

I understand they have an 18-105, a 16-85, and a 18-200. I have read posts here and on other forums about people who are quite pleased with the results and simplicity of not changing lenses they enjoy by simply keeping the 18-200 on the camera most of the time. With that lens, I would likely just add a 35mm prime for low light indoors. My inclination at this point is towards the 18-200.

What recommendations can anybody give regarding this plan? Or should I go another route? I can order the D5100 body only, and put the money saved toward what ever lens I go with.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow