who's going to sell their 20mm 1.7 for the 25 1.4? (n/t)

Started Jun 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,567
Like?
Re: Now I've seen the price....
In reply to flipmac, Jun 15, 2011

flipmac wrote:

But some people would get this lens (or the 50/1.4 and 35/1.4 Nikons) because it has a max aperture of f/1.4 to use in low light, more flexibility with exposure settings, etc.

That said, the Nikon 35 1.8G DX is obviously a good option if you are mainly concerned with DoF, which can attain a similar shallow DoF as the PanaLeica 25/1.4 as you say.

Focusing only on shallow DoF (pun totally intended), you might as well forget about spending money on expensive bright primes and just use a cheap zoom lens.

• Shot with Olympus 40-150mm (paid $150), shot @ 150mm f/5.6 1/800s

Well, its not really the same, since you cant use it at medium distances and wider FOVs, for instance if you want to accentuate someone and create a little depth in ordinary scenes. Here is simple sample to illustrate what I mean.

But for similar use the 25 1.4 should be fine. I think the 14 2.5 panncake and the 25 1.4 would be a nice little combo for reportage style work.

Anyway, it is good to have options.

But you could also buy a 35 1.8G for 260 dollars and have the same or slightly better DOF control as the 25 1.4 for m43...

Still I think the price of 25 1.4 was much better than expected and it fills a need for more shallow DOF on the m43. It will probably sell well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Me!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow