Started Jun 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scoobaru
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
D7000 with Nikon PC 85mm - fits great
Jun 14, 2011

I was looking at buying the previous generation tilt-shift 85mm Nikon lens for my D7000. After reading Thom Hogan's comments about the PC-E version I was a tad worried about some compatibility issues . It was mentioned that the rise on the shift would be limited by the flash/prism housing. Also it could have a potential conflict with the shift knob when doing horizontal shifts. I figured I could live with some limitations, bought it away, and crossed my fingers

Well it arrived the other day and thankfully it fits really well. It can do ALL tilts, shifts and rotations, even combined in any mix. Here are some pics of the Nikon PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm 1:2.8D on my D7000 for reference. These were shot with my crappy Casio compact and are pretty poor quality but do show the clearances well enough.

Zero shift, zero tilt, zero rotation

Max upward vertical shift (rise), zero tilt, zero rotation

Zero shift, zero tilt, 90 degree rotation with shift knob at the top

Again zero shift, zero tilt, zero rotation

Max upward vertical shift (rise), zero tilt, zero rotation

Zero shift, zero tilt, 90 degree rotation with shift knob at the top

Max right shift, zero tilt, 90 degree rotation with shift knob at the top

The only issue I found is when doing a maximum horizontal right shift the clearance between the lens and the grip is very small. I can't quite get my fingers in there. I don't think this is a major problem because I will be using it on a tripod most of the time.

OK clearance with Zero shift, zero tilt, 90 degree rotation with shift knob at the top

Poor clearance with Max right shift, zero tilt, 90 degree rotation with shift knob at the top

For info - the focus indicator works well with zero tilt/shift applied. Like other Nikons the D7000 reports the effective aperture and not just the dialled in number. While the manually controlled aperture is a bit fiddly it should be fine with any extension tubes I want to use. Overall I am pretty happy with it, I just need to climb the Everest sized tilt/shift learning curve!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow