Started Jun 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ozarktroutfisher
Contributing MemberPosts: 530Gear list
Like?
Video only - Nikon vs Canon
Jun 14, 2011

I recently posted about upgrading my soon to be 15 year old daughter's D5000 to a D5100 mostly because of the fact that the screen will swivel and face forward. She and her friends make a lot of music type videos and this feature would be helpful for them.

My problem now is that she's hammering me to get her a Canon because "it's better for videos". Yes I've read a lot that implied that, but with Nikon's release of full 1080p, is that really true now? I ask her what's better about it and of course the reply is that "everyone on YouTube is using it". Yeah I know herd mentality but frankly there's usually at least some fire where there's smoke. I simply don't have the knowledge / experience to evaluate between the brands for video only.

Anybody feel the latest Nikons are not up to what Canon produces strictly from a video perspective? I'd appreciate a rough comparison if anyone feels passionate about one versus the other. Also please let me know if I should be looking completely elsewhere for video. I keep hearing that the mirrorless cameras might be a better option. I'd sure hate to lose sensor size though.

Also a side note is that all us hardcore still picture guys need to understand the ramifications to video. Say she gets a Canon (which I would do if it would help her), the odds of her staying with Canon for life are pretty high.

Keith

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ME1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow