What's it like to live with the Leica M9...

Started Jun 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
alexaqui
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
What's it like to live with the Leica M9...
Jun 14, 2011

I am getting married in a month and will be traveling quite extensively for the summer. We are heading to Hawaii and a few weeks in Spain and the south of France. I would love to take some good pictures to remember the trip.

Currently I use an older Canon 20D with a 24-70 2.8L lens and picked up a Leica D-Lux 4 about a year ago. On average, the Leica takes better pictures than the heavier/bigger Canon setup. I typically shoot a mix of auto and full manual modes, leaning ever more towards full manual.

Given that the 20D is ancient technology, I would like to upgrade my camera before the trip. I am also tired of the size and weight of the Canon, especially with good glass on it. I am struggling between getting a 5d Mk2, which is a lot more affordable, and getting a Leica M9, which is what I really have my heart set on. The M9 is a huge financial stretch as I may have to buy a lens (may be able to use my parent's old M3 lenses). I love the idea and simplicity of the M9. What is it like to really live with this day in and day out vs. a DSLR? Do people really get the focusing down quickly to the point where my wife will tell me hurry up already? I want a camera that will always be around to get that short. My fiancee wonders why I need something beyond the D-Lux 4 given how good the pictures are from that. I fear I will not want to carry the 5d and L glass around all day long!

Also, if I were to order a lens, which would you recommend? I am torn between the 50, 35, and 28mm. Also, not sure if the 1.4 is really worth the price over the 2.0.

If I were to get the Canon, am I just going to regret it?

Thanks in advance! I've been mulling this over now for 2-3 weeks and cannot decide.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow