Flat view
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Thom Hogan on the GF3 & upcoming PEN-mini
Jun 13, 2011

. . . Scroll down to the 'Mirrorless Summer, part 2' article at:

http://www.bythom.com/

. . . Essentially he's suggesting that without a more capable sensor, these latest super compact m4/3 cameras can't compete with the APS sensor mirrorless compacts for low light capability or even with the Olympus XZ1. And that the only real benefit compared to the better P&S models like the XZ1 is to be able to use multiple lenses.

. . . At the end of the article, I was really intrigued in this suggestion Thom has that the collapsible Samsung lenses along with a new compact NX camera to be announced in July might be the mirrorless system to 'keep an eye on' in the future. I'm assuming that he also thinks that Samsung is about to upgrade their sensor in this new camera as well even though that's not stated in this article.

. . . If Olympus & Panasonic can't offer me something to upgrade to from my E-P2 within the next year or so (the fabled & mythical PEN-pro or a true successor to the GF1), I might eventually start thinking seriously about jumping ship. In the other article at Thom's site titled "Oy Vey', it looks like he has learned enough about the upcoming E-P3 to rule it out as a very significant improvement over the E-P2. I hope he's wrong about that but if he's right, it'll be a discouraging 2011 and possibly 2012 as well for some of us Oly users who were hoping for a big upgrade to the PEN series arriving anytime soon. Samsung? Who knows?

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow