Started Jun 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
charley5
Senior MemberPosts: 1,001
Like?
Is an obsession with image quality healthy? ... Rant
Jun 13, 2011

I came to buy Sigma's Foveon cameras because I was obsessed with image quality: which I define as (1) sharpness, and (2) a more natural and pleasing quality than what the Bayer sensor provides. I am having a sneaking suspicion that my obsession with sharpness is misguided. It harkens back to the days when I saw those amazing 8X10 view camera renditions, and thought to myself, now that's photography! Now, as an administrator for several high quality groups on flickr, I have come to realize that photographic art has little to do with the camera one uses, but a lot to do with the skills of the photographer.

Is sharpness overrated? Is it a smokescreen? Maybe my goal should not be to find the sharpest equipment around, but rather to perfect my skills as a photographer. You see, the problem is that I keep wanting to buy more and better cameras and lenses.

So this brings me to the culture of this group. Unfortunately, for the sake of IQ we have often downplayed the (severe) limitations of the Sigma cameras. And every time a new Sigma camera comes out we hoot and holler, and hope for some big changes. Of course, we are ultimately disappointed because despite the great IQ too many things go wrong with these cameras.

My question is, have we sacrificed too much on the alter of IQ?

-Charles

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow