Started Jun 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
_GUI_
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?
Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8 vs Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4
Jun 11, 2011

After receiving my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 I did a very quick test (portrait at max aperture) and found it much sharper on the camera's display than my Hexanon AR 40mm at f/1.8:

That is why I did a sharpness test at different apertures: Hexanon AR f/1.8 vs SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 vs Canon 24-70 f/2.8 zoom lens, all adapted to my E-P1.

I didn't develop the RAW files but extracted the B channel from the Bayer array. This allows to better check the real resolution power of each lens since it accurately represents what the optics projected onto the sensor, not what any piece of software did afterwards.

This was the scene:

I didn't shoot the Canon at f/4 since I don't have any Canon camera with me now with which to set aperture.

I focused manually at max zoom. Steady camera. Focus distance was about 1,5m. Timer in order not to touch the camera. These were the results:

• The Takumar at f/1.4 is sharper than the Hexanon at f/1.8, and at f/2 is fully usable. Great lens!.

• The Hexanon is very soft at f/1.8, just for an emergency. It also has a lot of CA not visible in the test. From f/2.8 it becomes usable but still performing below the Takumar at f/2.

• I introduced the Canon because I had it around here, of course a totally different lens (AF sealed zoom costing 10 times the others). It performs at f/2.8 similar to the Takumar at let's say f/1.8.

One-third-stop f-number scale reminder:
1.4 1.6 1.8 2 2.2 2.5 2.8 3.2 3.5 4

-- hide signature --

-------------------------

To see the influence of the rare elements introduced in the Takumar glass composition (my copy's yellow is hardly noticeable), I extracted the 3 JPEG's files from the RAW files shot at f/2.8, all with Daylight preset WB and shot at 1/640 to see if some lens in the set allows a higher light transmission:

The warm tint is very clear. Regarding light transmission, the 3 lenses worked similarly (a more accurate test should be done regarding this).

Regards

--
http://www.guillermoluijk.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow