Started Jun 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Adam Carter
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
I am the only one taking pictures of a friend's wedding
Jun 10, 2011

I have posted here in the previous 2 evenings. Basically, the situation is this: I will be the only one shooting wedding pictures in a small to medium sized church which seats a little over 100, a medium sized reception area, and will shoot with a Nikon D3000 with an SB-400 flash and a 55-200 VR lens. I'd love to get my hands on a prime lens, but all Best Buys and Wolf Cameras are sold out where I live.

I am definitely an amateur. I have shot another wedding (I was photographer 2 then NOT 1 and I just had fun), but now I am number 1 and probably the only. Any advice? Should I shoot in Program mode? "S" mode to put priority on shutter, or "A" mode to put priority on aperture? I am bringing the 18-55 VR kit lens in case I need to get in close proximity with people where the 55-200 VR wouldn't work as well.

ANy recommendations. Again, I am NOT a professional at all. The bride and groom are on a strict budget and it will be a wedding of about 150 people, maybe less. I have asked her for a shot list, and I will familiarize myself with the church prior to the event, as well as the reception hall.

My questions are as follows:

Would I be better off with a prime lens even though my friends don't have "professional" expectations. Would it make that big of a difference?

Would I be better off trading my D3000 in for a used D5000 or D90 in order to grab better photos in higher quality, or should I worry more about lighting and the glass used?

The D3000 isn't as sprightly indoors with soft light, and the ISO on it isn't as impressive as the D5000 or D90 which both have a CMOS sensor instead of the 3000's CCD sensor.

Is the D3000 enough to get the job done? The last thing I want is the buffer to fill up and the shutter button be asleep when the first kiss comes, or the cutting of the cake. I have noticed that it is faster on auto mode, but the picture looks faded and washed out, and just plain soft compared to program mode. Why does it take faster pics in auto?

The 3000 has let me down before not capturing a moment when it should. I am hoping with a flash (even though it's modest) that the job will get done well.

I am a novice photographer by all means. If I do have one strength, it would be composition. Any advice would be appreciated! The expectations are not high since I am a friend and am not charging them, but I just want to be the best I can be!

Adam

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow