SD 16

Started Jun 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 21,104Gear list
Like?
Re: SD1x !!
In reply to Truman Prevatt, Jun 9, 2011

Truman Prevatt wrote:

The Nikon model is to introduce their top of the line camera and then release a second camera with fewer features but the same sensor, e.g. the D3/D700. Now with the Nikon D4 which is rumored at 38 MP is released then the D3x 24 MP sensor will most likely end up the the D700x which will be a less featured camera than the D3x but at half the price.

Yepp - a sound strategy.

Sigma can't cut the features of the SD1 and have any feature left. I expect there are more than manufacturing start up cost in the SD1 sensor. There may be fundamental upsizing issues with the Foveon sensor that it is going to take a lot more talent than Sigma can bring to bear - given the small number of cameras that will be sold - to actually lower the sensor cost.

Sigma might be the point where they have to expand a huge engineering effort to sell a few cameras which will come out of their money to develop new lenses.

Reasonable analysis

The Foveon or Sigma sensor - whatever you want call it - may just not scale in size or pixel number.

Maybe - I dont see why though.

It may just turn out that the Foveon design might not be the final design of a "true color sensor."

Thats always true - that the latest design not is the final design.

It may be the original Foveon founders and engineers chose a small sensor - cell phone - target market.

No - absolutely not. The cell phone track is a dead end for Foveon - and have always been.

We will soon find out.

I dont think we will. Whatever happens to Foveon sensors is dependent on political decisions at Sigma. It proves nothing regarding the technology.

-- hide signature --

Roland

support http://www.openraw.org/
(Sleeping - so the need to support it is even higher)

X3F tools : http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow