Hoodman - with 3x adapter - WOW !! Solves EVF wishes?

Started Jun 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,165Gear list
Like?
Hoodman - with 3x adapter - WOW !! Solves EVF wishes?
Jun 9, 2011

Like most (all?) of you, I am eagerly awaiting the focus peaking as a means to make manual focusing a snap - even in bright sunlight.

But I did order the hoodman with the 3x adapter, and like to report on the last few days just trying it out.

• First, mounted on the LLC adapter (I cut slits in the hoodman, it already made a snug fit before applying superglue), it snaps onto the LCD and it hangs solid. In fact, it takes force to pull it off the LCD.

• It makes the nex bulky, and the hoodman is heavy (the LCD doesn't like to be tilted anymore, the weight weighs it down).

• But, the 3x magnification really blows me away - how to describe it? Imagine the LCD screen size increased to 9 inches across, right in front of your eye. I mean, even the basic font characters appear way too large.

• The detail on the LCD is in fact so high that I can manual focus without the need for 7x or 14x magnification - confident and dead on.

• It is not compact - it takes the place of a complete lens in my bag.

• It comes with a cute little pouch, but it does not fit after you add the LLC adapter and the 3x eye piece

• The 3x eye piece has a big flap, blocking all light around your eye. Works great, but the diopter lens fogs up when I press my eye in too far.

• The hoodman blocks the ambient light sensor, but the LCD brightness appears to be 'perfect', day or night time.

• in bright sunlight it works remarkably well - this is (by far) the biggest viewfinder (3x) that you can imagine.

Cost and bulk aside, for all of you that need/want/desire the EVF, this is something that I would recommend. However, it is not as compact as HOD's solution.

It really does blow me away.

Note - if you just get the hoodman, at 1x magnification, it is just a hood with a diopter. but with the 3x adapter it is just mindblowingly easy to work the LCD - there is so much detail in the LCD.

Can't upload any more pictures this month, will post pics later.

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow