Started Jun 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nancy and Pete Spader
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041
Like?
My examples of the Foveon/Sigma special IQ
Jun 8, 2011

With more images from the SD1 arriving soon (hopefully) discussion of what, if anything, is special about the Foveon sensors in the Sigma cameras has again restarted (not that it ever really stopped entirely.) There are now new people arriving in the forum that may not have seen my examples of images I believe have the “special” feel that Foveon sensors can produce. So here are 3 of my examples. I suggest viewing them at large or original size at my site (links are below the images.)

For the newcomers, I call this special quality “verisimilitude” because of the reaction some people have had viewing some of my images. When I posted the first image below, which was the first of my many “woods and wall ” shots at Lackawanna State Park, someone commented “I feel as though I am there.” Incidentally, this was one of the first pictures (after a few test runs) I took with my then new SD9, and it convinced me that perhaps this digital camera was going to be a worthy alternative to the 35mm film I have been shooting for most of my life.

I post the second image of the falls at Nay Aug Gorge in the Nay Aug Park in Scranton PA because I had an A0 print of it made by Lawrence and Dominic (about 33 by 46 inches) and people had the same kind of reaction to it, with one person saying “I can hear the water.” Those who suggest the special quality can only be seen in small size prints may not be correct.

The final image is of the Heron Pond at the Five Rivers Environmental Center in Delmar, NY. This is another of my favorite sites. I printed it at Super B size (13 by 19 in.) and again people had a sense of “being there,” with one person saying that they could walk right into the picture and start fishing.

Incidentally, each of these pictures are in our “favorites” gallery because of the number of hits they have received and the fact that I like them too.

Verisimilitude is not just the “3D” effect. It is holistic and subjective, and some people do not see it at all. Furthermore, I do not claim that only the Foveon sensor can produce it, though the debates we have had trying to find objective elements that contribute to it suggest that the Foveon sensor may have an edge.

If these images give you a sense of why I and some other people have been captivated by the Foveon/Sigma cameras from the start, then they have served their purpose. (Over the years a number of people have told me it was my images that convinced them to get a Sigma camera. So far no one has asked me to give them a refund!) If you do not see anything special about these images that is quite understandable as well since people have such different ways of seeing. The mind-eye interface is very complex indeed.

For me photography is about IQ, especially an IQ that helps me capture the “feel” of a scene and helps me to evoke that feeling in other people, which is why I like the term “verisimilitude.” Here are the images:

The large is at: http://www.pbase.com/pspader/image/20485772/large
The original is there as well.

The large is at: http://www.pbase.com/pspader/image/31182034/large
The original is there as well.

The large is at: http://www.pbase.com/pspader/image/36900755/large
The riginal is there as well.

Pete

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow