Started Jun 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,968Gear list
Like?
Which compact would you buy today?
Jun 8, 2011

My apologies as I think a thread like this was done not long ago but I couldn't find it. I'm itching to buy one of the new luxury compacts as my carry-everywhere camera. As much as I love my big DSLRs, for obvious reasons they are not always with me.

I'm having a hard time deciding on which model as I like different things about each one. It's down to the usual suspects but I think the choice is between the Panny LX5 and Oly XZ-1. My perfect camera would be the LX5 with the Oly's lens. Price is a factor, I'd love to get the Oly for that fast lens but having a hard time convincing myself of a $500 compact. The Panny is $100 less and I like alot about this camera...but darn, for me the Oly's lens is hard to ignore.

The S95 is intriguing and I like the tiny size, but that sloooow lens really turns me off for why I want this camera. But then again, a reputable vendor has refurb S90 cameras for under $280 which has caught my attention. For almost half the price of the Oly, I could live with a slower lens and the wife would appreciate my self-restraint

So fellow SLR users, your opinions on what you carry would be appreciated.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow