Is the 100-40 L still the best for wildlife photograhpy?

Started Jun 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
LI
LI
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Re: Is the 100-40 L still the best for wildlife photograhpy?
In reply to Mike Christie, Jun 8, 2011

For Arctic, 100-400 is the best choice if you do not have any other longer lens, and you have to know that most of the time you are shooting from your boat or zodiac while the wildlife are always far away, especially with polar bears.

I traveled to Arctic two years ago and I brought with me 500 F4 with Ext. and 100-400.

Li

Mike Christie wrote:

Hi all,

I'm going to the Arctic on a 12 day "expedition voyage" in July and I need to get a long lens to take pictures of the Polar bears and other wildlife.

The last time I went on an wildlife "shooting" trip was to Africa in '05 and I took the 100-400 L which gave stunning results but was a pig of a thing to carry around and handle.

I sold that lens a year or two ago as I wasn't using it enough - so my question is should I just bite the bullet and buy another 100-400L for my trip or are there other lenses out now that I should consider that are maybe lighter but still good enough to do a trip like that justice?

(FWIW, I use a 7D and a 20D and my main lens is a 24-105 L).

TIA...

Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow