Started Jun 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The_cheshirecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
Haven't seen this TC question before
Jun 8, 2011

I have been thinking about acquiring a tele-converter. I know they only fit some lenses, and why. But I never really looked at any closely until today. I noticed on the Canon 1.4x II the front element protrudes quite a bit. Of course, this is the reason it cannot be used with so many lenses.

But then my mind began working and I started to think what would happen if a short extension tube was placed between the tele-converter and a lens. The extension tube could provide the clearance to allow the TC to be used on lenses it would not otherwise attach to. I realize the optics would not align or function as intended. And, as when using extension tubes infinity focus might be lost…. Or would it?

So here I am, with no tele-converter (yet) and no extension tubes, wondering if attaching an extension tube in front of the TC, instead of behind, it is feasible / practical and what if any use it might serve.

We can get into all the theory, and optics involved, but has anyone actually tried anything like this?

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow