Anyone not like the Panasonic 20 1.7 ?

Started Apr 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
Mk7
Mk7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
Re: Anyone not like the Panasonic 20 1.7 ?
In reply to DekHog, Jun 8, 2011

DekHog wrote:

ThingsAbove wrote:

It costs too much for what you get. You can buy a "Standard" Canon brand fixed 50mm f/1.8 for $125. That's what a standard, fixed, non-professional autofocus lens should cost. It's just pure markup. If everybody would just stop paying the exorbitant price for these lenses for 6 months the price would come down to what it should be.

+1

Truest post in this thread - it's cheap to make, contains very little optical glass and is the simplest piece of lens design around. It may be good, but it's a total rip-off....

+1

Canon 50mm 1.8 is $120. Panny 20mm, has size, weight and sharpness improvements, but has noisy, hunty AF, and focus-by-wire MF. It’s worth $250 at most. Even if the initial high price was to cover R&D investment, it hasn’t come down by now as it should have. $320-$400 prices are pure gouging. Even at $250 they’d still make nice profit. There's simply not $400 worth of development, material and work in that tiny package.

I’m sure you will say “well at $400 it’s still perpetually sold out, so maybe it’s worth $500”. Yes, people would pay that much, but it’s not worth that much. Period.

If supply/demand set price, it actually would be more than $400, right now, right? It’s as if they set the price to be on the border of obscene and outrageous, so as to rake in the dough while avoiding too much bad press.

I’ll wait for version II, with fast, decisive, silent focus and slightly more compact size. I might pay $400 for that.

And the new 25mm 1.4 will cost at least $800!! With these lens prices, it’s hard to believe Panny is laying off 17,000 workers to “improve profitability”.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow