Started Jun 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Macist
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
GPS Experience with the HX9V/HX100V
Jun 7, 2011

I've been thinking of getting the HX9V to go with my new HX100V. But the way Sony's GPS works is making me pause.

How bad is the GPS lock on the HX9V? If someone also has the HX100V, how bad is the compact Sony compared to the bridge one?

My new HX100V cannot lock in on a GPS signal inside my house, while my old Panasonic DMC-ZS7 (as well as my cell phones) lock in within a couple of minutes.

Moreover, the Panasonic GPS keeps track of the signal constantly, so its ready to tag a photo whenever I fire the camera.

The Sonys have to search for GPS signal every time they start up, which would mean that if turned on for just a few seconds to take a shot, the photo will likely not be tagged.

Two minutes delay to get a GPS lock and tag is next to useless in many situations.

The battery drain is less important than the ability to geo tag, IMO. The Panasonic lasts about 3 days with the GPS running non-stop, which is OK, since I can always charge it, and I have an extra battery. Correct GPS tagging is much more important, IMO.

Plus, you can always turn off the GPS on the Panasonic, or put it in Flight Mode.

Any real-world on the road experiences with the HX9V and its ability to reliably geo tag photos?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow