SD 16

Started Jun 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Regular MemberPosts: 407
Re: SD 16
In reply to yvind Strm, Jun 7, 2011

yvind Strm wrote:
There are three options.

a) Sigma priced the SD-1 to make room for a SD-16. How would they price a SD-16 otherwise? If so, a SD-16 might appear next year.

b) The SD-1 price increase was sensor production related, which makes it not very likely that we will see a SD-16 before any production issues are solved.

c) There was some other reason for the price increase, in case we might see a SD-16 in a years time.

I tend to think that b) is the case, so I think the unexpected price increase of the SD-1 has put the SD-16 on hold.

It has been stated that Sigma want a broader range of DSLRs, but what is the alternatives?

1. another camera with the SD-14/15s sensor?

2. a SD-16 with a 1.7 crop version of SD-1s sensor?

3. a SD-16 with same sensor as the SD-1?

4. a totally new sensor?

I think the only feasable solution is 2, a 1.7crop version of the SD-16.

But again, if the price increase of SD-1 was due to production issues, its gonna be a while before we will hear about it.

Also remember that the SD-15 was released only about a year ago. That is now Sigmas entry level camera.

425i wrote:

Since the SD1 is a bit dearer than we thought it would be
What about a Sigma releasing a SD16 for the rest of us

Have not tried a SD15 as they are a bit rare in Australia but from others on here they sound pretty good
So I was thinking what would I like in a SD16

The one thing I would like is video as the present SD15 sounds like it has all I would want; except video
I know some people don't want video but there are times when it is fantastic
especially for kids at party's etc or sporting/performance events
Take a pic of your kid singing and its ok
but film it and its something much better especially in a few years time

What does ever body else think would be nice on a SD16; besides being affordable

Excellent points Øyvind. I think that the most likely is an SD16 with a 1.7 crop version of SD-1s sensor using rejects from manufacturing that show failure in the periphery of the sensor chip. This is not uncommon in Electronic Manufacturing.

A Trimmed down SD-1s sensor might give the same Pixel Count of an SD15 but with better performance due to improvements in the Photoreceptors size and architecture.

Perhaps less Noise and higher max ISO.

Please visit our new Forum ; http://sigmacumlaude.com/yetanotherforum/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow