Travel Kit

Started May 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
JamesLumix
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
Re: Travel Kit
In reply to calson, Jun 7, 2011

calson wrote:

I would recommend would getting the 17-55mm f2.8 to add to your 11-16 and 70-300 zoom lenses. It will give you the lens speed you mention wanting.

Thanks for that - Looking at getting this lens, tried it in the store and have found a really good 2nd hand deal

For European travel my perfect kit would be a DX camera with the Nikon 10-24mm f4 and 17-55mm f2.8 lenses and the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8. I would also add the SB800 for off camera flash.

I see two mistakes in your lens purchases. First is with the Tokina 11-16 which only provides a 5mm zoom range compared to the Nikon 10-24mm that provides a 14mm or nearly 200% greater range of focal lengths.

I dont see it as a mistake - I have tried the Nikon and rate the Tokina higher for its build, sharpness, and low light ability. Loss of zoom is not an issue with the way I shoot with UWA lenses.

The second is with the purchase of the 70-300mm which is relatively small and light in weigh compared to the 70-200mm f2.8, but you could have still had a f2.8 constant in a lens that is comparable in size, weight, and cost with the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 lens.

Certainly for some, yes, but I dont shoot a lot at the tele end so small and light weight won it over. Maybe I will step up to the 70-200 when I start to shoot more street portrait work or something, then it certainly be very handy. I hear the Tokina 50-135 is very good too.

At 150mm on a DX camera one has the equivalent FOV of a 225mm lens on a 35mm or FX camera which is plenty long enough for Europe. The 50mm at then wide end is equal to a 75mm on a FX camera and is a lot more useful than the 105mm minimum focal length (in effect) with a 70-300 or 70-200 zoom lens.

Some good ideas and view points - Thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow