Started Jun 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ADW01
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Should I buy the 7D???
Jun 6, 2011

I actually owned the 7D for a few days, before returning it to Best Buy. I ordered it from their internet site, and it was supposed to be sent as a signature-required dilivery from UPS. But while I was at work the deliveryman threw it on my porch in a pouring rainstorm, and the box got soaked. I was mad enough about that, but really upset that anyone could have just walked onto my porch in the middle of the night and stolen it.

I had no trouble sending it back for a potential reorder, but in again researching the 7D, I've noticed that this series model is starting to get "long in the tooth." I was shocked to see that in just a few months, the 7D will be two years old. And that has me hesitating as to what to do.

Since the 7D requires its own battery pack and batteries, my investment in this camera will be around $2,300, which is an awful lot of money for a camera that might soon be old technology. When I spoke to a B&H salesman on this, he told me that if I sold the 7D when the 7D2 is released, it's possible that I could lose as much as $1,000. The big problem is that the 7D2 might also require its own battery pack and batteries, but there's just no way to really know at this time.

On the other hand, I've noticed at canonrumors.com that there is not the slightest hint of a 7D replacement coming any time soon. At this late date, if it was going to be released this fall, rumors would be all over the place. So for the moment, I'm figuring that the 7D2 will be released in September, 2012, and am trying to determine if the upgrade loss will be acceptable to me on those terms.

By all means, please feel free to write back with your opinion. Right now, the 40D is doing the job, but for filming historical reenactments and using the video with stills in ProShow Producer, I'd like to have the 7D if it was financially practicable.

Thanks for all help and advice.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow